Flag Cake Recipe
Make this festive Flag Cake this Memorial Day or Fourth of July and be the talk of the party.
1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix (plus ingredients to make cake-listed on box)
1 package (4-serving size) JELL-O brand gelatin, any red flavor
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
3 1/2 cups (8-ounce container) Cool Whip brand whipped topping, thawed
1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced
1 cup blueberries, washed
1 cup Kraft miniature marshmallows
13 x 9 baking pan
Large fork (two-pronged type)
Medium mixing bowls
Rubber scraper or large spoon
Large tray or cutting board (must be larger than 13 x 9 pan)
1. Grease 13 x 9 pan with margarine and dust lightly with flour. Prepare, mix and bake cake mix according to package directions. Cool cake for 15 minutes.
2. With large fork, make holes in cake about every 1/2 inch.
3. Pour gelatin into mixing bowl. Add cup of boiling water and use scraper to mix thoroughly until gelatin is completely dissolved. Use measuring cup to pour gelatin over cake. (It will run down into holes, making sliced cake have red stripes.)
4. Chill cake in refrigerator 3 to 4 hours.
5. Cover tray with aluminum foil.
6. Put about one inch of warm water in kitchen sink. Take pan out of refrigerator and dip bottom (don't let water come up over sides) into water for about 10 seconds. Put large tray on top of cake, and invert.
7. Frost sides and top with whipped topping. Arrange strawberries and marshmallows in alternating rows for stripes, leaving upper left for field of blueberries. Chill again until time to serve.